You are here: Information Center >> Immigration & Citizenship >> Entering The United States As An Immigrant >> Immigrants and U.S. Taxes

Immigrants and U.S. Taxes

I am a permanent resident (green card holder). Do I have to pay U.S. taxes?

If you have a green card, you are a U.S. tax resident and must declare your income to the U.S. government, even if you remain outside the country for an entire year. As a green card holder, you must file U.S. tax return Form 1040 each year by April 15. Failure to follow U.S. tax laws may be considered a crime. If you are found guilty of a tax crime, your green card can be revoked and you may be deported. To find out more, visit the IRS Web site at